Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Evidence for 3.6

Standard 3: Instructional Strategies, Element 6: Communicates and presents material clearly, and checks for understanding.

Some of the elements could be problematic in providing a hard copy for evidence and documentation.  I started thinking outside of the box - a little - to see how I could accomplish some of the more difficult elements.  

For 3.6, as an example for presenting material clearly, I put a copy of 
  1. A handout (diagram) I created to help clarinet players understand the relationship of the "pinky keys" for the upper and lower registers.  In essence, it clearly portrays the note names for each key in the low register and the upper register when the register key is pressed.  (Handout can be seen here)
  2. I included an "Articulation Chart" which I use to visually represent the length and volume of different articulations.
  3. Example of a brass valve instrument's descending chromatic fingering pattern
  4. An example of instructions for beginning saxophone students on instrument assembly, sitting position, hand position, embouchure, and instrument care.  (Handout can be seen here)
As an example for checks for understanding, I put a copy of 
  1. A lesson plan which includes depth of knowledge (DOK) questions
  2. An example from the book when I used DOK use
  3. An essay entitled: Checks for Understanding.  (Portions of the essay can be seen here)
Because we have been told specifically that the evaluator has to see each element in action, see each element in a lesson plan, &/or see each element documented, I concluded that it is safe to include handouts - and Essays - detailing how I accomplish each element.

No comments:

Post a Comment