Friday, August 29, 2014

TKES/TAPS Observation: DOK, What to say

There is a fair amount of discussion about depth of knowledge (DOK) right now.  Some teachers think their curriculum is a mile wide and an inch deep, and they are still expected to ensure their students have a true depth of knowledge that is substantial and verifiable.  As part of my new TKES/TAPS lesson plan design (see: Lesson Plan), I included a Depth of Knowledge section that includes 4 areas of DOK.  My earlier iterations of the lesson plan had words only, but then it was suggested that we have actual sentences we might use during class.  To that end, I changed my DOK section and recommend that you include elements such as these in your lesson plan as well as statements to include when the observer is in your room.  I have a list that I keep at my podium where I can cite these, in some form or another, as needed.  As has been mentioned in other posts, my evaluator has indicated on more than one occasion that, "if it isn't in the lesson plan or isn't seen, it doesn't exist."  I intend to make sure it is in the lesson plan and it is observed.

Level 1: 
How do you define this?
Can you identify which one is the ___?
Tell me know you know ___.  (One of my favorites.)
Name all of the ___.
Recite all of the ___.

Level 2:
Identify patterns in the ___.
Compare between these elements.
How do you interpret that?
What observations can you make about that?
Show me that you know it.  (One of my favorites.)
Summarize those ideas for me.
How do you relate that to what we did before?  (One of my favorites.)
What cause and effect do you see?
Estimate that for yourself.

Level 3:
Compare between these elements.
What conclusions can you draw from that?
Critique this for me.  (One of my favorites.)
Cite evidence for your decision on that.
Construct and support your answer.
How would you differentiate between these?
Hypothesize: what would happen if ___?  (I like this one too.)
Formulate ___.

Level 4:
Analyze and synthesize information from multiple sources.  
Critique that for me.  (One of my favorites.)
Apply concepts to illuminate a problem or situation.
Connect that to something you learned the other day.  (One of my favorites.)
Create ___.
Prove ___.

Reasons: Teacher will ask students to use multiple levels of DOK during instruction, work session, and summary.

Respectfully,
Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment