Saturday, April 18, 2015

Student Surveys of Teacher Instructional Practices: absolutely laughable, if it weren't true


  1. The use of student surveys (for middle school: 11-13 year olds) to impact teacher evaluation, TEM score, effectiveness, retention, and certificate, is absolutely laughable - if it weren't true.  Because it is true, it is horrifying and ridiculous.  Now teachers need to teach the students how to evaluate their teacher; here's what summary looks like, here's what differentiation looks like, here's what asking questions looks like, etc.  More later.
  2. It seems reasonable that if a child - students - could take a survey that would impact a teachers' -professional educator's - job, why couldn't we create a survey of our students that could count toward their grade (i.e., a summative test grade).  More later.
  3. A friend of mine, who has a birds eye view of many things, has the opinion that this entire TKES process was developed to create an evaluation system which has the ability to create a sense of outrage and distrust in the Georgia public education system so that public sentiment would move toward supporting Georgia's elected politician's push toward more charter schools (which was just voted on and approved), allowing for schools, teachers, and benefits to move out of the GA DOE funding into privatized companies allowing schools to function outside of the GA DOE which moved from the lack of governmental funding public schools years ago which, in its fullness, will create a disparity of high functioning charter schools and low functioning public schools creating a reinvented system of segregation--this time, between the haves and the have nots.  TKES isn't about providing an improved valid teacher evaluation, it's about creating political movement toward charter schools.  The opinion is hard to argue against; time will tell.
  4. A teachers, as with all other evaluation systems, is in the hands of the interpreting evaluator.  A teacher with less than 5 years experience has seven IVs and three IIIs on his/her summative evaluation.  Another teacher with minimal experience has five IVs and five IIIs.  Another teacher with less than 5 years with experience who provides differentiated experiences for his/her students every day receives IIs.  One evaluator interprets by the letter of the rubric, another interprets: "if you could teach a class on this Standard, you should receive a IV."  ...completely different interpretations, different grades, and different summative outcomes for the teacher--connected to their certificate.  Word is that if you receive a II in any Standard, you may not be eligible for interview or hire in some counties.
  5. The survey questions do not/can not apply to all subject matters; this creates validity/reliability problems (yet, we are going to evaluate and judge teachers anyway.  See #3.)
For example:  Survey Question #4: "My teacher takes time each day to summarize what we have learned."  My score: 1.95 (17% strongly agree, 37% agree, 29% disagree, 15% strongly disagree).  Clearly 12-year-old students are clueless (because they are only 12), I summarize more than one time per class period, and now it seems teachers need to teach students how to answer survey questions (in lieu of time spent on standards) to keep their jobs - or at least avoid uncomfortable summative TKES conferences regarding their student survey results.  I graduated with High Honors (high school), cum laude (college), 3.8 (masters), and a 4.0 (doctorate) in my degrees and apply what I know, and constantly use formative assessments during class so my students will learn efficiently, and now I have to figure out a way for 12 year old students to recognize and approve of my teaching strategies and methods to validate my abilities.  Something seems out of place here (see #3).

So, 44% of my students do not think I summarize the concept each day.  Hummmm.  Let's see.  Suppose I teach music.  I teach a new note, I give the location on the staff, I give the name, I give the fingering, I let the students see it and finger it, I give how to play it, I give how it is used, I show them why the note is the way it is, I have the students play the note, I double check (through formative assessments) that the students understand and can perform the note, I have them play the note, and then I have the students play the note in new music.  If that is not summarizing of the new note, I do not know what is, but 44% of my students do not think so.  The same would go for rhythms, dribble a basketball, sing pitch, sew a straight line, or draw a perspective.  In many performance-based classes (Connections classes in particular), concept is about 20% and performance/skill is 80%; therefore, playing/singing/drawing/performing the new concept is summarizing.  So, if teachers are going to improve their student survey averages and TEM score in the coming years, it appears we will need to find new ways of teaching the standards, documenting performance for evaluators, and teaching students how to answer the survey.

No comments:

Post a Comment