Sunday, September 14, 2014

Instruction during an Observation--preview

From talking with other teachers in different schools, there is a vast difference in the amount of "intensity" for the TKES/TAPS process--for the evaluator and the teacher; this is true of any teacher evaluation system--past, present, and future.  If your schools has promoted a "be calm" atmosphere, that is fantastic; mine has not.  I know of one teacher where the school has put him/her on very close scrutiny and another school where a teacher passed all 10 TAPS Standards with a Level III and did not have to provide any additional documentation.  If you have been observed, or the climate in your school is of particular interest to others, please let me know (e-mail), and I will share your experience anonymously.

Up to now, I had been concentrating on each element in the standards to ensure the Evaluator would observe and document that I had completed the particular performance standard.  While I do not think that is a bad approach, it may not be all inclusive and there may be an easier and better way.  Instead of focusing on the details, it may be more beneficial to focus on the big picture.

The rubric for Performance Standard 3: Instructional Strategies, Level IV indicates that
In addition to meeting the requirements for Level III; The teacher continually facilitates students' engagement of metacognitive learning, higher-order thinking skills, and application of learning in current and relevant ways.  (Teachers rated as Level IV continually seek ways to serve as role models or teacher leaders.)
 and the rubric for Level III indicates
The teacher consistently promotes student learning by using research-based instructional strategies relevant to the content to engage students in active learning, and to facilitate the students' acquisition of key skills.
Now, this is my 22nd year teaching.  I had in my teaching area the elements of Standards 3 & 7 typed up so that I could address each one (as seen in post dated September 9); that was stressing me out.  I think I found a better way.

Ignore the elements.  Teach.  Check for student learning.  Specifically:

  • promote student learning by using research-based instructional strategies (I do that)
  • engage students in active learning (I do that)
  • facilitate the students' acquisition of key skills (I do that)
  • students' engagement of metacognitive learning (I found a great way to do that this year)
  • higher-order thinking skills (I use my DOK questions for that)
  • application of learning (I do that)
I think that this approach will keep me focused on the main thing, student learning, and less on trying to pass off the checklist of elements--hoping the students learn while I perform my teaching.  Now, if they will just stop by and observe me!

No comments:

Post a Comment